We are different. And we are trying to make a difference …
Environmental conservation is very important to us and we have a number of initiatives in place to reduce our carbon footprint, which include:
- Eco-friendly and sustainable policies always given priority
- Reduction of harsh chemicals, increased use of natural products
- Promoting eco-friendly travel by offering a discount to public transport users
- Homemade products (breads, muesli, jams and marmalade) reduce food miles
- Our dual flush WCs conserve water, our energy saving bulbs conserve electricity
- Energy saving key cards fitted throughout our property
- Prioritising fresh, organic and locally sourced breakfast produce (wherever possible)
- Fair trade tea, coffee, sugar and other products in guest rooms and kitchen
- Reduction of paper and throwaway products
- Stringent recycling policy in effect in all areas
- Palm oil policy: we strive to avoid the use of any product which contains palm oil.
Where this is not possible, we choose products which contain palm oil from sustainable sources only. (Reduces rainforest destruction and the environmental disaster it causes to people and to wildlife)
- Support of local conservation and wildlife charities
- Online booking system reduces paper and printer ink use
- All central heating radiators have individual thermostatic controls
- All windows are double glazed, saving energy in winter but open fully providing sea fresh air in summer
- Water butts for rain-water recycling
Green Customer Charter
FEEL GOOD about helping to save the planet and keep Sussex beautiful . . .
In our own small way, we are helping to make Sussex more eco-friendly. We can all reduce our impact on the environment by making choices. As a visitor you have an important role to play in assisting us to conserve our natural assets and become a more sustainable destination.
Here are our recommended tips on how you can help:
Reduce energy by switching off lights and closing windows if heating is on. Please remove your key card from the socket when you leave your room, this conserves valuable energy. The Energy Saving Trust provides information on what you can do at home. www.energysavingtrust.org.uk
Give the Car a Rest
Leave the car behind, if only for a day. Walk, cycle or use public transport. We will happily provide you with advice, map information and timetables. www.southernrailway.com www.buses.co.uk, www.traveline.org.uk, www.seat61.com, www.sustrans.org.uk
Use local products to give you a flavour of the area and help support local communities.
Reduce, Re-use, Recycle
Try to avoid overly packaged goods and say no to plastic carrier bags. You can also support us in our efforts to recycle - please ask staff for more details.
Be Water Wise
The Sussex coast is regularly designated a drought area. The UK has rising costs for water treatments so please use water wisely. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth and adhere to towel policies where possible. www.water-guide.org.uk
Help us to look after beautiful Sussex and its wildlife by not littering, guarding against fire and using foot and cycle paths responsibly. Ensure you follow the Countryside Code and obey Coastguard rules and beach flags. Do not swim when the red flag is flying. www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk
Support Green Businesses
There are thousands of businesses in the British Isles working to reduce their carbon footprint through the Green Tourism Business Scheme. Businesses are awarded Bronze, Silver and Gold for their efforts to be more sustainable. www.green-business.co.uk
East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service
We are proud to support WRAS (East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service), a local charity which provides a front-line rescue service for wildlife casualties, including deer, foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, bats, birds and any other needy creature.
We donate £1 for every room booking received to this worthy cause and offer discounts to WRAS supporters. Please visit www.wildlifeambulance.org for more details of this much needed service.
We hope that our eco-friendly and fair trade policies will enhance the pleasure of your visit to our friendly establishment. We are committed to sustainability and welcome all comments and suggestions. Please click on the 'contact us' link.